Birthday cake popcorn is a fun way to surprise someone on their birthday (or any occasion, really). It’s crunchy, gooey, and extremely irresistible — plus, you don’t need baking skills to whip this up! All you need is your trusty Popsmith Popper.
Birthday Cake Popcorn Ingredients
To make birthday party popcorn, you’ll need:
- 1 Popsmith Classic Kettle Popcorn packet
- ½ tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 9 cups marshmallows
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups white cake mix
TAKE NOTE: This recipe makes 6 quarts of popcorn, which is the maximum amount you can pop per batch with your Popper.
Step 1: Heat
Set your stove to medium heat and place your Popper over it. Let it pre-heat for 1-2 minutes.
Step 2: Add Oil and Kernels
Toss the kernels and coconut oil into the Popper.
Step 3: Turn
Cover the Popper and turn the crank clockwise to coat your kernels in the oil.
Step 4: Sweeten
When the coconut oil has fully melted and you start hearing the kernels pop, take out the lid and add the sugar n’ salt mix from the Classic Kettle Corn kit.
Step 5: Mix
Put the lid back on and turn the crank again to combine the ingredients together. Give the pot a little shake to keep the bottom kernels from burning.
Step 6: Pop
When popping slows, remove the Popper from the burner. Take out the lid to allow steam to escape.
Step 7: Melt
In another pot, melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat. Keep stirring until completely melted, then take the pot off the heat.
Step 8: Combine
Combine the melted marshmallows with milk, vanilla extract, and cake mix. Stir the batter well before adding it to your popcorn. Then mix everything together till the popcorn is coated.
Step 9: Serve
Toss sprinkles on top of your birthday cake popcorn and serve. For an extra touch, add candles and let the birthday celebrant make a wish!
More Birthday Popcorn Tips
- You can swap out milk for dairy-free options like almond or soy milk. If you’re also concerned about gluten, look for a gluten-free cake mix.
- Birthday cake popcorn tastes best fresh, so make it as close to your event as possible — a day or two at most. It will lose its crunch if you make it too early.
- We suggest serving the popcorn with an ice scooper since it’s very sticky.
- If there’s any leftover popcorn, store it in an airtight container and eat it within 2 days. But we’re sure everyone will gobble it up before then!
- After eating, don’t put the Popper in the dishwasher right away. Let it soak in water first to allow marshmallow residue to loosen, then scrub it gently. We also recommend placing each part of the Popper separately in the dishwasher for a more thorough cleaning.
Celebrate Good Times with Popsmith
You don’t have to wait for someone’s birthday to make birthday cake popcorn! This sweet treat is also perfect for girls’ night, movie marathons, and days when you just want to indulge.
Let us know what you think! If you want more recipes like this, don’t forget to check out the rest of our blog.
FAQs About Birthday Cake Popcorn
What is the flavor of birthday cake popcorn?
Birthday cake popcorn tastes just like cake batter, except it’s 100% safe to eat. This particular recipe has a distinct vanilla flavor that’s sweet and super addicting.
Is birthday cake popcorn good?
Kids and kids at heart will love birthday cake popcorn. It might not be the healthiest thing out there, but for special occasions like birthdays, it’s totally worth the extra calories.
Is popcorn a party food?
You bet it is. Since popcorn is easy to prepare, tastes amazing, and can be seasoned any way you like, it’s a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. With birthday party popcorn, it’s double the celebration!